Friends of Jasper National Park Past Project Involvement
The Jasper Town Trail Interpretive and Directional Sign Project is a multi-agency partnership working towards providing trail users with information about the trail, about the town and about Jasper National Park that will enhance their enjoyment, understanding and appreciation of the area. The Friends have taken on the role of Project Coordinator for the project’s duration.
Annually, we consider applications for project funding. Interested individuals and organizations are invited to apply for funding for a project that contributes to the preservation, interpretation or protection of the natural or cultural heritage of the park. Past projects have included the Drivers for Wildlife campaign, Jasper Heritage Theatre, caribou research and solar water heating.
FJNP and Parks Canada launched the project at Cavell Meadows to protect the sensitive meadow habitat after years of footsteps caused serious damage to the trail and vegetation. Working with a number of volunteers, we repaired the trail, camouflaging and re-vegetating damaged sections of meadow, and installing trail markers, maps and interpretive signs.
Through the efforts of FJNP, Parks Canada and countless community volunteers, this project was a great success. Since there had never been a formal trail system on the island, it had been heavily impacted by more than 60 years of uncontrolled traffic. Over three years, the island’s soil and plant life were rehabilitated, defined pathways were installed and interpretive signage was developed.
This joint project between FJNP and Parks Canada succeeded in providing signage for the trails surrounding the Jasper townsite, including Maligne Canyon, Miette River, Pyramid Bench and Valley of Five Lakes. The signs have since been replaced with stronger, vandal-resistant signs.The project involved over 1000 volunteer hours and support is still required annually for inspection.
In 1998, the Friends contributed $5000 toward necessary renovations in order to ensure that interpretive programs would be reintroduced to the area. The theatre is now used in the summer months for daily children’s programming offered by the Friends, for nightly presentations by Parks Canada interpretive staff and for special concerts and guest presentations.
The Friends contributed $29000 to restore the pink stone building which served as the original Information Centre when it opened in 1949. A plaque on the building recognizes the contribution to this federal heritage building. The building is currently the office for the Friends of Jasper National Park.